An Australian Teenagers' Legs Were Eaten By Sea Fleas And Everyone Is Traumatized

This is 16-year-old Australian teenager Sam Kanizay. On Saturday, he decided to cool off after football with a quick dip in the ocean at Dendy Street Beach in Brighton (a suburb in Melbourne).

After about half an hour in the water Sam's legs felt numb and tingly but he assumed it was from playing sport. But when he emerged from the sea he noticed his legs were covered in blood.

"My first instinct was that I must have stepped on a rock," Sam told The Age. "But I realized that couldn't have been it, because it was evenly distributed over my whole ankle and foot."
"I wasn't really thinking about being eaten."
Sam walked home and washed the blood from his legs but they wouldn't stop bleeding so his father Jarrod drove him to hospital.

"We had the emergency room full of everybody that was working there just fascinated, they were all on Google afterwards, hypothesising as to what happened. They pretty much had 10 different hypotheses but nothing yet," Jarrod told The Age.
Jarrod said he often swam at the beach "and I haven't seen this happen before".
Sam's wounds continued to bleed throughout Sunday and he remained in hospital on Monday.


Bothered by the mystery surrounding his son's wounds, Jarrod returned to the beach with some raw steak and a net.
And what he found might keep you out of the ocean for a while.

SEA FLEAS! Sam's legs were probably eaten by sea fleas!
"We found thousands of little mite-type creatures in our net," Jarrod told The Age. "We put them in an Esky and brought them home and looked at them intently and let them swim in white dishes with red meat.
"Interestingly, overnight they've essentially all clung to the meat and have been busy overnight eating it."
Museum Victoria marine scientist Dr Genefor​ Walker-Smith examined the bugs caught by Jarrod and thinks they are sea fleas.

Post a Comment